It’s that moment. Time to slow down… but do you give yourself that permission to do so?
Many of us struggle in taking time for ourselves because life happens. And I am no exception. The reality and truth is that I have been struggling to slow down and ease my mind, body and heart lately. I have been so focused on growth, motivating and moving but not enough on self care and self love. I have been so focused on trying to recover and catch up on what I missed since I was in the car accident (in work, in life and in my physical strength and mobility) but not enough on being compassionate and taking this journey back slow.
In doing so, I have been speeding at 200 miles per hour in life, forgetting to breathe and giving into my anxiety of needing to do more and be more than I am. I was in my head and placing self judgement where there was none. I was hard on myself and I pushed myself to be more than I was ready at the time, and my body pushed back.
Recognizing this, I have been in the process of slowing down, making adjustments, taking more time for self care, and embarking on a family vacation for these few weeks to unwind and recharge.
It hasn’t been an easy month so far but I am feeling more like myself day by day. This experience taught me an important lesson of self care and self love:
It is so easy for us to get caught up in life, but it is also okay to step back and slow down. We don’t need to feel guilty for taking time to ourselves because in a society where we are always asked to be more and do more, we actually need more time to do less and be okay.
So please don’t push yourself to do more if you need to do the opposite. Don’t feel like you have to be okay if you are not. Let yourself be, work through it, and your mind and body will thank you.
Thank you for taking this time to read this post and I want to extend my gratitude for my loving and supportive family and friends who have been helping me on this journey back from recovery. In your own ways, you have made me better and stronger in this process so thank you!
To conclude this post, I wanted to share a few tips on how to make time for yourself:
So how many of us can relate to this? When no one’s around, our time of ‘solitude’ is tempted with a reach of the TV remote or phone. We avoid ourselves of silence because we’re afraid of what is on the schedules for the moments and hours ahead.
But ‘solitude’ is not a vacation away from impossible. We can retreat from the world for time without being renounced by it. We can give to ourselves the way we give to others, and realize ourselves the value we hold. And when we do, we become more in tune with ourselves.
The hardest part in this truth is finding the time. Many of us are so busy with work, school and home life that often there is no time left over for yourself. What we need is simple ways to create ‘open time’ with no obligations; an essential time to slow down, enjoy life and rejuvenate.
Below are some ways I do this for myself, and also a bonus tip for my moms and dads out there!
SCHEDULE TIME WITH YOURSELF
- Date Nights with Yourself. Save certain weeknights just for you. Use this time for reading, exercise, meditation or the ultimate luxury of doing nothing!
- Monthly Treat. Take time to treat yourself once a month. It could be any time on or off your schedule – lunch break, a weekend or after work. Relax with a spa treatment, give yourself a mini facial, go see a movie, or whatever you’re always thinking about but rarely get to.
- Leave Work on Time. Sounds unfamiliar for many, leaving work on time can make add hours to your evenings. This may be a luxury for some, but make it a point to leave work exactly on time at least once a week, if not more. Enjoy that extra hour you’ve earned!
- Sweat It Out. No excuse should overshadow your health and fitness. Set your mind to it, and do it. Take the stairs, walk the dog or run it out. What or how you do it isn’t important as that you do it. Set aside 30 minutes every day to break a sweat.
- Organize “Mom’s Morning Out” or “Dad’s Day Out” Circle. This one is for my moms and dads out there. If you have a friend or group of friends, share a babysitting service a few times a month so that each of you can arrange some time alone. Even if for a few hours, enjoy it and do something you love to do – or better yet do nothing.
Sign Up Early for My Meditation Workshops!
Looking to join me for a yoga or meditation workshop? Look no further because they are coming in this Fall/Winter 2019! Check out what’s on the calendar and sign up early! Registration links are now open! Click here.
Nourish Your Body with Fuel
Visit Superieur Electrolytes a natural energy booster with vitamin C, potassium and calcium. Made with zero sugar and high antioxidant ingredients sourced from pink Himalayan sea salt and ionic sea minerals. Enjoy a 20% discount with Jenny at checkout at Superieur Electrolytes!