Standing bow pose, also known as Dandayamana Dhanurasana, seems to exist on the extremes of Bikram practitioners – for some being their favorite posture and for others being their most loathed. Love it or hate it, this posture is a perfect example of the tourniquet effect in Bikram Yoga because it transfers circulation from one side of the body to the other. It is a very comprehensive posture with a multitude of benefits, improving the flexibility and strength of most of the body’s muscles.
Benefits of Standing Bow Pose include:
- Stimulates the cardiovascular system
- Increases circulation to the heart and lungs
- Opens diaphragm
- Opens the shoulder joints
- Helps with frozen shoulder conditions
- Improves the elasticity of the spine
- Improves strength and balance firming the abdominal wall and upper thighs while also tightening the upper arms, hips and buttocks
- Increases the size and elasticity of the rib cage and lungs and improves the flexibility and strength of the lower spine
- Helps to reduce abdominal fat
How to & Tips for Standing Bow Pose:
- Grab the ankle joint and keep a good strong grip using all five fingers
- Start with your knees together
- Raise arm up to and continuously stretch it up toward the ceiling
- Make sure to keep your knee locked
- Charge your body forward
- Feel your spine arching backward as you kick
- Keep imagining seeing your foot coming over the top of your head more and more
Need a New Yoga Mat?
Designed by yogis and trusted by teachers worldwide, Manduka products and apparel are used—and fiercely loved—by 900+ yoga ambassadors, over two million customers, and 4,000+ yoga studios worldwide. Enjoy a 25% on full price items on Manduka with coupon code JennyBean25 at checkout. Free Shipping on all US orders $75+!
Powerful Plant-Based Skin and Bodycare That Deliver Results Above and Beyond Expectations. Try Pangea Organics 100% Risk-Free Today with Free U.S. Shipping over $35 and Save 20% on your first order with coupon code WELCOME20 at checkout.