If you love creamy tomato sauce, try this recipe. It isn’t a tomato sauce base, but it taste just as rich. This weekend, we’re making Roasted Red Pepper Pasta. It’s healthy, packed with wholesome goodness and easy to make!
- 4 red bell peppers
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 12 ounces linguini or spaghetti noodles
- Heat oven to 500 degrees F (260 C) and roast red peppers on a baking sheet for 25-30 minutes. Then peel away charred skin, seeds and stems. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions; drain, toss in a touch of olive oil and set aside.
- While the red peppers are roasting, bring a large skillet over medium heat and sauté onion and garlic in olive oil for 4-5 minutes. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper and stir. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Transfer sautéed onions and garlic to blender with roasted peppers, almond milk, red pepper flake, nutritional yeast and cornstarch. Season with desired amount of salt, pepper and red pepper flake.
- Blend until creamy and smooth, taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt and pepper or nutritional yeast for flavor.
- Once blended, place sauce back in the skillet over medium heat to thicken. Once it reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low and continue simmering.
- Once sauce is thickened to desired consistency, add noodles.
- Serve with red pepper flake and fresh chopped parsley or basil.