Though traditional stuffed cabbage recipes are made with meat, this delectable vegan recipe is packed with flavor and simple spices. It makes for a perfect side dish or main course. Easy to make, this recipe is sure to be your new go-to favorite.
- 3 tablespoon oil (I use olive oil)
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of wild mushroom (cremini, shiitake, oyster), chopped
- 1 cup of cooked white rice
- 12 full cabbage leaves
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat the 1-2 tablespoon of oil and the chopped onions and mushrooms. Sauté the onion until it begins softening and turning translucent.
- Add in the cooked rice and seasoning to taste. Cook for 5 minutes and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to boil and boil the cabbage leaves for 1-2 minutes each. Remove from water and set aside.
- In the same large saucepan (without the water), add the remainder of the oil and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add in the canned tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, lay out the cabbage leaves. Place a portion the rice mixture in the center of each. Fold bottom half of cabbage over filling, then fold in sides and roll up tightly. Transfer cabbage rolls, seam down in the sauce and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve warm on its own, with bread or pasta.