Indulge in a hearty foods you crave this season without saying goodbye to its body and bold flavors. With a few adjustments, this week’s recipe brings warmth to the belly – yum, yum, yum!
This homemade vegetarian chili calls for plant-based ingredients with an array of veggies, beans and aromatic spices. Even the most devout meat eaters will thank you and ask for seconds. It’s easy, fast and simple to cook and clean up – making it the perfect weekday dinner.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground pepper and sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and the garlic in oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add celery and bell peppers. Sauté for another 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add tomatoes, broth and tomato paste. Stir to combine and increase heat to medium-high.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer the mixture until thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cayenne to taste. Taste and season with additional salt if needed.
- Serve with chopped green onion, cilantro leaves and/or vegan sour cream.