Summer may be over but salads are still in season. In fact, green leafy greens like lettuce thrives in cool weather — making it the perfect crop for autumn. I got this idea for this said from a few homegrown jalapeños in my garden. I definitely love combining sweet citrus flavors with a spicy kick, so I figured, why not translate this to a salad?
I created this extremely easy jalapeño vinaigrette that came out better than I could have expected. Spicy food is not only delicious, but it also helps kick your metabolism into full gear. And if you don’t have a high spice tolerance — this dressing isn’t as spicy as it seems!
For the salad:
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 navel orange, peeled and chopped
For the dressing:
- 1 lime, freshly juiced
- 2 medium-sized jalapeño, charred and minced
- 2-3 tablespoon capers
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon vinegar
1. To make salad: Finely chop kale and mix in a large bowl with chopped walnuts, cranberries and orange.
2. To make dressing, whisk lime juice, jalapeno, capers, garlic, cilantro, olive oil, and vinegar until smooth. Toss with rest of ingredients.