These stuffed tomatoes are super easy but taste gourmet. Great with big juicy beefsteak tomatoes, these Quinoa & Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes are bursting with flavor. To make this even more nutritious, instead of using rice or breadcrumbs for the stuffing, I used herb infused cooked quinoa.
This dish is quick and easy to make, but the real key is to bake the tomatoes slowly so their juices infuse into the quinoa. Heavenly, and a must try for your next meal!
The best part? This healthy recipe is vegan, plant-based and gluten-free. It doesn’t get any better than this!
- 8 medium to large ripe tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli, diced
- 1 1/2 cups onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheeze, vegan (i.e. The Sanctuary at Soledad’s Goats‘ Parmesan Cheeze)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Slice off the stem end of the tomatoes and hollow out the inside.
- Sprinkle salt in the hollow portion of each tomato and place each tomato on baking sheet. Set aside.
- Place water and quinoa in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; lower to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes or as instructed.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add broccoli and onions. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in spinach until just wilted.
- Toss in the garlic and parsley, cook for a minute longer, and remove from stove.
- Add cooked quinoa to spinach; mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Evenly divide the filling among the tomatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle tops with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.