For the love of basil! Who doesn’t love fresh, homegrown organic sweet basil?! Better yet, who doesn’t love sweet basil in an inspired Thai Pineapple Fried Rice?
With all the wholesome goodness of fresh produce and whole grains (brown rice and quinoa), this Thai Basil Pineapple Fried Rice is a healthy, quick vegan and gluten-free weeknight dinner! The pineapple and chili garlic sauce brings out the best combination of sweet and spicy notes, and this makes for awesome leftovers the next day!
This is one of those recipes that has me compulsively sneaking bites out of the wok as I am packing them up for each day of the week. Seriously! One bite here, one bite there. Next thing, I know, I am not even hungry after all those stolen bites!
If you’re hungry and craving for some Asian Fusion, spice up your weeknight dinners with this culinary wonder!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1½ cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced (about ¾ cup diced)
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1/3 cup portobello mushrooms, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/4 cup fresh sweet basil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups cooked brown rice and quinoa
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 small lime, halved
- Season with salt, to taste
- Season with fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Cook brown rice and quinoa in a rice cooker or pot ahead of time according to the directions. When finished, chill the rice
- Heat a large wok or non-stick frying pan over medium to high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add the coconut oil and cook the garlic, stirring constantly until the garlic smells fragrant. About 1 minute.
- Toss in the pineapple, red bell pepper, onion and mushrooms. Cook about 3 to 5 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in rice, quinoa, soy sauce, and chili sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is hot, about 3 minutes.
- Squeeze the lime juice over the dish, season with salt and pepper to taste, and add in thai basil and cilantro, stir to combine.
- Serve immediately and garnish with additional cilantro and thai basil. Enjoy!