Given the success I had with my latest Cauliflower Bisque and Cauliflower Crust, I figured why not use cauliflower as a thickener for this Vegan, Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup. And, boy-oh-boy, was I right! It is absolutely amazing! With all the thickness of a cream soup with no artificial flavoring or powdered thickener. No starches, flours or gums – just whole food goodness.
- 2 cups cauliflower, diced
- 1 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink rock salt, for taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, for taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups crimini mushrooms, diced
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- Place cauliflower, milk, salt and pepper in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes until cauliflower is softened.
- Puree the cauliflower mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Place oil, mushrooms and onions in a medium saucepan. Heat over high heat until onions are translucent – about 5-8 minutes.
- Add pureed cauliflower mixture to sautéed mushrooms. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve immediately – enjoy!