Just in time for summer, BBQ and spices are in season! In my search for a recipe, I found one on a local food blog, My California Root, that featured Vegan Cauliflower Buffalo Wings. I didn’t have all the ingredients, but I had alternatives and substitutes. And – boy oh boy! – was the outcome finger-licking good!
My version is Vegan Cauliflower Buffalo Sweet & Spicy Hot Wings with a twist of lemon citrus! Perfect for summer BBQs, these will easily be a favorite appetizer at any cocktail hour or party. But I’m warning you… these are fire because they are surprisingly addictive. It has the spiciness of traditional Buffalo Hot Wings with tangy notes that hit your palate in every bite.
Best of all, these are both gluten-free and vegan! This re-inspired recipe delivers a healthy and low calorie appetizer with an enormous amount of heat and flavor. If you aren’t so hot on the spice, feel free to decrease the cayenne to 1 teaspoon or increase the agave and/or lemon juice. If you like it hot hot hot, go for the whole 3 teaspoon! Either way, they will be absolutely delectable.
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco
- 1-2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon tablespoon agave
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425 °F. Cover a baking sheet with foil paper.
- Cut and break the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces, and toss them in 3 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread the cauliflower onto your baking sheet and space them apart as much as possible. Bake for 10-15 minutes, tossing once halfway and until golden brown.
- While the cauliflower bakes, combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. When the cauliflower is finished baking, toss the cauliflower in the bowl and evenly cover with the cayenne mixture. Toss, toss, toss!
- Spread the cauliflower back onto the oven and bake for another 7-10 minutes. Watch carefully as you do not want to burn them to crisps – just a bit crunchy. Serve immediately, and sprinkle a little lemon zest on top for finishing. Enjoy!