One of my favorite things to do every week is hitting up Trader Joe’s for new inspirations to create in the kitchen. This week, while digging through the vegetable aisle, I came across this amazing treat: Butternut Squash Zig Zags.
Without hesitating, I picked up two of these and went on a grocery hunt for all the ingredients to a fresh tomato sauce. My goal? An easy-to-make Low Carb Spicy Tomato Butternut Squash “Pasta” for a healthy homemade meal.
Using the base of my Homemade Rustic Chunky, Tomato Sauce, I made a quick few revisions to kick up the spices in my traditional tomato sauce.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet onion or yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup mini portebello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup dry basil leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 5 cups water
- 2 24-oz Trader Joe’s Butternut Squash Zig Zags
- Add the olive oil, onion and mushrooms into a medium pot. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, adding salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes. Increase to medium-high heat to bring to a low boil. When the mixture boils, reduce low-medium heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes uncovered.
- As the tomato sauce reduces, add 4 cups of water in another medium pot. Bring to boil and toss in the butternut squash. Cook for 4-5 minutes and set aside.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and 1 cup of water into a blender. Process until creamy, smooth and stir this mixture back into the tomato sauce in the pot.
- Stir in the dried basil, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Continue cooking and simmering until thickened to your liking. Then remove from heat.
- Serve the tomato sauce over the butternut squash “pasta” and enjoy!