Citrus brings a natural refreshing and light splash to every dish. Toss in cayenne, and the dish blossoms with a flavorful kick to wake up your taste buds.
Using the remaining produce I had for the week, I whipped up Lemon Cayenne Kale Macaroni out of the whim. It was light and refreshing, and perfectly balanced with readily available simple spices. Who’s to say delicious meals can’t spring out of basic ingredients?!
- 1 1/2 cup organic baby kale
- 1 zucchini, sliced and diced
- 3/4 cup mini portebello mushrooms, diced
- 1 large lemon, freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, for taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, for taste
- 1 1/2 cup elbow pasta
- In a medium sauce pan, toss in the olive oil, zucchini and mushrooms. Cook on medium to high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- In a medium pot, boil 3 cups of water and cook the elbow pasta for 10-12 minutes or as instructed on the label. Drain and set aside, leaving 1/5 cup of pasta water on the side.
- Season the mushrooms with cayenne pepper, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Bring to low to medium heat and add in the pasta water. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Toss in the kale and cover for 1 minute before mixing in the cooked pasta.
- Set aside, serve and enjoy!