Nothing hits the spot like Mac ‘N Cheese. And, as with all alternatives to diary products, vegan lovers can enjoy this classic dish with non-dairy shredded cheese selections. For today’s recipe, we’ll be using Daiya‘s non-dairy shredded mozzarella cheese to recreate a spin on this beloved American dish.
I love tomatoes and eggplants, and a kick of spice. So today’s recipe will kick it up a notch with a Vegan Spicy Eggplant Tomato Mac ‘N Cheese Delight! Perfect for vegans, this hearty plate will surely satisfy our vegetarian and plant-based lovers as well! Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet onion or yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup mini portebello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 Italian eggplants, diced
- 1/4 cup cup dry basil leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 5 cup water
- 1 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup non-diary mozzarella cheese (i.e. Daiya)
- 3 cups elbow pasta
- Add the olive oil, onion and garlic into a medium pot. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, adding salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, mushrooms and eggplants. Increase to medium-high heat to bring to a low boil. When the mixture boils, reduce the het to medium and simmer for about 10-15 minutes uncovered.
- As the mixture boils, in a separate medium pot, cook 4 cups of water. Bring to boil and add in elbow pasta. Cook for 10-12 minutes or as instructed. Drain and set aside.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, water and unsweetened almond milk into a blender. Process until creamy, smooth and store this mixture back into the tomato sauce in the pot.
- Stir in the dried basil, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Continue cooking and simmering until thickened to your liking.
- Stir in cooked elbow pasta and cheese until both is infused evenly with the tomato base. Remove from heat. Serve and enjoy!