What’s on the menu for dinner tonight? Vegan, Plant-Based Chunky Tomato Sauce Penne Pasta!
The secret? Sun-dried tomatoes. So simple, but such an amazing addition to transform a fresh tomato sauce into a rich and creamy concentrate with depth of flavor. It brings out the aroma of each ingredient and is such a dream with every bite. You really have to try this!!!!!!
1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 large sweet onion or yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup mini portebello mushrooms, sliced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
4 large tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup cup dry basil leaves
1/2 cup olive oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, to taste
5 cups water
3 cups of penne pasta
- Add the olive oil, onion and garlic into a medium pot. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, adding salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and mushrooms. Increase to medium-high heat to bring to a low boil. When the mixture boils, reduce the het to medium and simmer for about 10-15 minutes uncovered.
- In another medium pot, cook 4 cups of water on high heat. Bring to boil and cook penne pasta as instructed (or 10-12 minutes), and drain.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, 1 cup of water and 1 cup of the mixture into a blender. Process until creamy, smooth and stir this mixture back into the tomato sauce in the pot.
- Stir in the dried basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Continue cooking and simmering until thickened to your liking. Then remove from heat.
- Serve the pasta on a plating vessel, and top with tomato sauce. Dig in and enjoy!