Once in a while, I have this sudden urge for everything Italian. And, this week, my hunger inspired me to whip up my Homemade Rustic Chunky, Tomato Sauce. This rich, savory sauce can be thickened into a tomato base for pizzas and repurposed as a tomato sauce for your pasta or risotto! Best of all, it is vegan-friendly, gluten-free and plant-based!
What’s the secret to this sauce? Sun-dried tomatoes. So simple, but such an amazing addition to transform a fresh tomato sauce into a rich and creamy concentrate with depth of flavor. It brings out the aroma of each ingredient and is such a dream with every bite. You really have to try this!
It is easy to make, and is based on a few simple ingredients to create the most delightful homemade tomato sauce! The secret is blending sun-dried tomatoes alone or with water, and then stirring it back into the pot. And, be sure to use sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil as this will add luscious, rich flavor.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet onion or yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup mini portebello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup dry basil leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup water (optional)
- 12oz beefless ground beef (optional)
- Add the olive oil, onion and garlic into a medium pot. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, adding salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, mushrooms and beefless ground beef (optional). Increase to medium-high heat to bring to a low boil. When the mixture boils, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 10-15 minutes uncovered.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes into a blender. If used as pizza sauce, blend alone. If used as tomato-based pasta sauce, add water. Process until creamy, smooth and stir this mixture back into the tomato sauce in the pot.
- Stir in the dried basil, rosemary, salt and pepper. Continue cooking and simmering until thickened to your liking. Then remove from heat.
- Serve over your choice of pizza or flatbread, zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash noodles. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy today’s recipe, and try it out in your next inspired meal in the kitchen! Drop a comment below, and let me know your thoughts! Be inspired and fuel your soul with this hearty goodness!