Perfect pairing with your salad or sandwich, this Vegan Lentil Soup with Kale is a new favorite! Luscious, rich and packed with flavors, this dish is 100% homemade (including the broth) and gluten/diary-free!
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved
- 1 ginger, halved
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh kale
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 cup green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth (homemade with mushrooms, ginger, onions)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, boil 4 cups of water with onions/ginger halved, mushrooms, and a pinch of salt. This will be later used as your vegetable broth.
- In another medium saucepan, heat up 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and toss in the diced onions, garlic, and carrots. – Sauté for five minutes and add the curry powder, cumin, thyme, salt and black pepper.
- Allow the aroma to kick in within 30 seconds before tossing in the tomatoes.
- Add the lentils, water and vegetable broth in. And bring to boil then turn to low/medium heat to simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Uncover and blend two cups of the lentil soup. Pour back the mixture into the soup and add in the kale. Allow this to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir well and serve!